We’re looking to hire an experienced data engineer to maintain, improve and continue to add to Mixmax’s data infrastructure and data culture. You’ll be a key communicator, working cross functionally in our entirely remote organization. You’ll have the opportunity to work with multiple stakeholders, technologies, and data sources.
As a data engineer you’ll be a part of a team specifically focused on ensuring the company runs on accurate and repeatable data. This means being a member of a team that values continuous and collective learning, culture over process, data driven development and always asking tons of questions. We actively blog about our work, contribute to open source, sponsor Open Collectives, and host/present at meetups - we actively encourage you to do the same and under your own name.
Within three months, you'll:
- Design, build, and support data-centric services including but not limited to event streaming, ETL pipelines and distributed data storage utilizing Airflow, Snowflake and dbt.
- Collaborate with partner teams to understand their business contexts and analytical challenges, and to transform and sprinkle data-driven fairy dust on their products.
- Communicate strategies and processes around data modeling and architecture to multi-functional groups.
- Collaborate with our data analyst frequently to ensure data models support analytic goals and processes especially in our BI tools (redash & Looker).
Within six months, you'll:
- Work on high impact projects that optimize data availability and quality, and provide reliable access to data across the company.
- Work with fellow engineers to build out other parts of the data infrastructure, effectively communicating your needs and understanding theirs.
- Optimize the Snowflake data warehouse and identify additional data sources to have an impact on Mixmax company goals
- Enable the ability to evaluate success of marketing campaigns in Looker
Within one year, you'll:
- Be a go to resource for all Mixmax data across multiple teams and be consulted on best practices for collecting and managing data
- Partner with the product team to evaluate error and feature usage to identify gaps, trends and make recommendations on product improvements
- Become a dbt expert by exploring dbt best practices and implementing those in Mixmax’s data warehouse
Preferred skills and background
- Exceptional coding and design skills, particularly in SQL and Python.
- Previous experience of working with large data volumes, including processing, transforming and transporting large-scale datasets for analytics and business purposes.
- Experience in data warehousing, ETL pipelines and Star Schema design (“Lite Kimball”).
- Great communication and collaboration skills.
- Revenue data experience
It’s also awesome (and 100% not a requirement!) for you to:
- Previous experience with AWS technologies (e.g. EC2, RDS, S3, SQS, etc.)
- Previous experience with Terraform, dbt, Snowflake, Airflow (or other orchestration software) and Docker.
- Previous experience with Looker (or other BI tools such as Tableau, Mode or Metabase)
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion
At Mixmax, we know that nobody's perfect, and that no one ever matches 100% with a job description. That's okay–we're human after all!
Diversity and inclusion are core to our culture, and we're actively committed to building a more inclusive and open workplace. No matter your background or how you identify, if you're excited about this role, please apply today!
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, and any other local ordinances, Mixmax will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Mixmax, our vision is a world without busywork. Since our launch in 2015, Mixmax has become the product of choice for over 10,000 Sales and Customer Success teams to eliminate and automate repetitive work. This means more time to focus on what matters: engaging and serving the needs of customers.
We’re extraordinarily proud of the company we’ve built. We recently just hit a major milestone: $10 million in annual revenue. We’re excited to invest in new teammates to help to bring Mixmax to more teams.
We’re a driven, passionate, responsible group that values personal and professional growth equally. We take care of ourselves, our families, our customers, and one another. We believe in sustainable and diverse approaches to work and life, because optimizing for the long-term is the best path to success.
Our company is distributed, with remote team members worldwide and headquarters in San Francisco. We offer competitive salaries, meaningful equity, and generous benefits. And you get to work on a product people absolutely love!